2006 Bay Area Plastic On Plastic shred tournament
Ten Things About Plastic On Plastic
1. The last catch of the tournament was a quadruple spinning phlaud by Carl Dobson that might have bumped him up into 2nd place.
2. It was cold. Not Russia cold, but leave-your-sweats-on Northern California cold. SummerShred cold.
3. Special guest appearances by Steve Hubbard, Carolyn Yabe and Roger Cole were a pleasant surprise.
4. Plastic On Plastic was a turboshred event. Diff-only judging. Jams of four players. Why Plastic On Plastic? Because we were playing on a really cushy artificial turf (plastic) field…
5. The tournament was quick. After waiting for some youth soccer teams to finish warming up on “our” field, we ran the whole event in about 45 minutes. The ratio of jamtime to tournament time was probably 4/1.
6. Carolyn Yabe outscored her husband by a total of 3 points over the whole tournament. Two in the prelim and one in the final.
7. I won the A final. I was able to hit a few strong combos early then relax go for some big stuff. Had I spaunched on the big stuff, the winner would have been a toss-up, but I was fortunate to be relaxed and seal. Don’t really remember many moves except a triple spinning tumble and a quad spinning legover pull. There is no video (therefore it didn’t happen?).
8. Steve Stotter and Steve Hubbard in the same prelim pool means you’ll see a ton of quality rolling.
9. Carl Dobson and Arthur Coddington in the same jam group means a spin-o-rama.
10. Greg Riley donated a vintage Krae Van Sickle/Laura Engel 80 mold as the 1st prize.